This Application Note describes the design and implementation of a business process to convert an ANSI x12 835 Health Care Claim Payment/Advice to semicolon delimited flat file using the eLife Coupler Translator EDI Pack Platform software. Using Coupler Designer, the process is designed using visual objects that represent the workflow of the business process. The Coupler Explorer is used to add the required resources such as EDI schemas. The Coupler Mapper is used to create the mappings of data from the X12 856 document using a visual tool. Finally, the process is validated and ready to be tested and then put in production.
Company X processes EDI documents that follow the ANSI X12 standard for its EDI B2B communication with its trading partners. Company Y, decided to tool up for this, and implement an EDI solution which converts all documents received from Company X to delimited flat file format without making any changes to its existing application. After some research, Company Y found its solution using the eLife Coupler.
Business Process Design
The Coupler Designer, the visual object layout tool, is the starting point for the solution. Using the Designer, one can lay down all the objects that are required to implement the business process from start to finish. Since this process is very simple in terms of the number of steps that makes the workflow. We will lay-down the objects starting from the
workflow START element which indicates the start of a workflow instance. You can then add the DeliveryMessage pick-up port which can be one of many transports; FTP, HTTP, POP3 or local network folder. In this workflow, we used a local NetFolder.
Next object is the actual worker processor which will convert messages received in the local folder “X12_835_IN” to Delimited document, this processor is “835_Del_Xlator”: Finally, we can add the drop off destination of the Delimited document which again can be any of the available transports, which is again in this case a network folder “Del_835_Out” and to end the workflow, we will add the “END” object.
The “X12_835_IN” Port.
The type of this port is Local Network Path, it is triggered by Windows File Notifications services. The dropped off documents will be deleted on reception (an option that can be changed by opening the Port Manager Dialog and tabbing to “File Rules” tab).
The “835_Del_Xlator” Processor
The conversion from 835 to Delimiter is performed by this processor. The input of the processor is selected to be all documents that are covered by the 835 schema while the output is a formatted document in the delimited semi colon format. The mappings are created using Coupler Mapper as shown:
The conversion mappings use Coupler Maporators to implement some data manipulations such as mathematical, string, date and programming constructs.
This Local Network Path port receives the converted document from the processor ready for pick up by the application.
Step by Step Installation Instructions
1. Copy the project zip file “835_Del_Conversion.zip” from the email message sent to you to any location in your computer for use by next step
2. Run the CouplerCP program from the Start menu or go to the Coupler\bin folder and run it from there. You should have a Coupler icon in the system tray.
3. Right-click the Coupler icon and pick eLife Coupler Designer from the menu
4. The Coupler Designer should start.
5. From the System menu in the toolbar, select the Restore menu item.
6. Restore will ask you for the zip file to restore. Select the “835_Del_Conversion.zip” file from the location where you copied that file.
7. Select the Explorer tab from the left side bar.
8. Click Projects, a list of available projects will be displayed.
9. Pick “835_Del_Conversion” project from the list.
10. Double-click on “835_Del_Conversion”. The project will be loaded.
11. Go back to the Designer tab
12. You should have the process: “835 processing”
13. Double-click “835 processing” tab, right-click on the empty part of the process, select Validate. Notice the changes made. You can remove the disconnected computers if you like.
14. Read all the comments that are placed on every object in the process.
15. Right-click on the Coupler icon in the system tray and select eLife Coupler Tracker.
16. Tracker will run.
17. You are ready now to test the conversion process. Monitor the output port “835_Del_Out” for the newly converted document.